dynabook Knowledge Base Article
Information about Intel AMT
Your computer may support Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) depending on the model you purchased.
Using built-in platform capabilities and popular third-party management and security applications, Intel AMT allows IT to better discover, repair and protect their networked computing assets.
Consult with your system administrator about configurations of the AMT function before connecting to a network.
RESOLUTION | Short
Disable the AMT function
Intel AMT function is enabled by default, and in a situation where no system administrator is available, it is strongly recommended that you turn off the AMT function before connecting to a network.
If the AMT function is NOT turned off, there is a danger that the management of AMT function will be abused by other parties which possibly lead to the leak of sensitive and/or proprietary information, data loss, HDD/SSD erasure, or file overwritten.
First, you must do the following in the dynabook Setup Utility:
- Turn on the computer while pressing the F2 key.
- On the dynabook Setup Utility screen, change AMT Setup Prompt to Enabled.
- Press the F10 key, and press Y key to save the settings.
When the computer restarts, the message "Press [CTRL+P] to enter the MEBx Setup Menu" appears. Press CTRL+P to enter the MEBx Setup To disable the AMT function, do the following:
- Select MEBx Login, and enter the default password "admin" in the password field
- Enter a new password. Password must comply with the following requirements concerning character types and length:
- Must be between B and 32 characters long Must contain at least one number (0. "1-9 Must contain a mix of lower-case (a, b , etc.) and upper-case TA. B. 2. etc.) letter
- Must contain at least one special character of the following:-IOS% )-=+[1: >/?
- Underscore is considered the same as Roman alphabet characters, and is not counted as a special character
Key Input Imped on the US keyboard layout. The following table shows example of the special character in US Keyboard Layout.
- Select Intel(R) AMT Configuration, and press the Enter key.
- Select Manageability Features Selection, and press the Enter key.
- Select Disabled and press the Enter key.
- Press the Y key, and press the ESC key.
- Select MEB: Exit and press Y key.
- When the computer restarts, go to dynabook Setup Utility.
On the dynabook Setup Utility screen, change AMT Setup Prompt to Disabled.
- Press the F10 key to save the settings, and press the Y key.
When using the computer with the AC adaptor connected and the AMT function set to enabled, power might all be supplied to the system memory even when the computer power is turned off, or the computer is in Sleep Mode or Hibernation Mode.
When connecting the AC adaptor, the computer is powered and can be turned on. If the power is automatically turned off after approximately 5 to 7 seconds, it is because the RTC lasting time runs out, and the settings of AMT function have been cleared. This is normal and not an error. If it occurs, the setting of AMT function must be reconfigured.
If there is a problem when you start the computer, or initialize the Management Engine (ME) firmware after the RTC lasting time runs out, the system will automatically reset itself during setup. This is the function of AMT configuration and is not an error.
Enabling the AMT function might cause the network LAN Enable / Disable items to be no longer changeable in dynabook Setup Utility. Consult with your system administrator about details.
AMT function cannot be operated using a USB-LAN adaptor.
The useable system memory for models equipped with the AMT function is 16-64 MB, less than that of model not equipped with the AMT function. The amount of the difference depends on the amount of memory installed.
RESOLUTION | Detailed
Notes for system administrators
- Intel AMT is enabled by default in the Management Engine (ME) firmware.
- Both the security of management console and the network management must be thoroughly implemented through management of AMT function. Otherwise administrator privileges might be abused by other parties which possibly lead to the leak of sensitive and/or proprietary information, data loss, HDD/SSD erasure, or file overwritten.
- When using the USB Provisioning function, you must turn on this function before using.
1. Turn on the computer while pressing the F2 key.
2. On the dynabook Setup Utility screen, set the Supervisor Password on Security menu.
3. Set USB Provisioning of AMT to Enable.
4. Press the F10 key, and press Y key to save the setting.
- The following functions are not supported
- RPAT (Remote PC Assist Technology)
- Remote BIOS update
- When using the AMT function, you should connect to a network by Wireless LAN
dynaEdge, Portege, Satellite Pro, Tecra
Dynabook provides this information "as is" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Dynabook shall not be responsible for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of the information or software provided. Dynabook is not liable for any damage caused by the use of any information or software provided, including information that is incomplete or incorrect. Any trademarks used herein belong to their respective owners.
Copyright Dynabook Europe GmbH. All rights reserved.
Back to top